BA, Political Science, University of Pennsylvania
LLB, Law, Yale University
MA, Political Science, UC Berkeley
At Haas since 1964
2007 - present, Senior Fellow, Institute of Governmental Studies 2007 - present, Academic Advisor, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
1991 - present, Professor Emeritus, Haas School of Business 2006 - 2007, Associate Dean of International Relations, International and Area Studies 2005 - 2007, Professor in the Graduate School, International and Area Studies 2002 - 2007, Director, The Rotary Center for International Studies in Peace and Conflict Resolution 2002 - 2006, Chair, Peace and Conflict Studies Group Major, International and Area Studies Teaching Program
1994 - 2001, Dean, School of Economics and Business Administration, and Earl W. Smith Professor, Saint Mary's College of California, Moraga, CA
1989 - 1991, Chair, Political Economy of Industrial Societies Group Major
1986 - 1988, Chair, Berkeley Division of the Academic Senate
1984 - 1986, and 1978 - 1982, Chair, Business and Public Policy Group, Haas School of Business
1982 - 1984, Chair, Program in Business and Social Policy, Haas School of Business
1980 - 1986, Chair, Advisory Committee, Institute for Governmental Studies 1976 - 2002, Adjunct Professor of Religion and Society, Graduate Theological Union, Berkeley, CA
1973 - 1991, Professor, Haas School of Business
1973 - 1977, Associate Dean, Haas School of Business
1969 - 1973, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
1969 - 1970, Faculty Coordinator for Minority Affairs, Haas School of Business
1968 - 1969, Founding Director, Office of Urban Programs, Haas School of Business
1967 - 1969, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
1964 - 1967, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
External Service and Assignments
- Member, Board of Directors, Roots of Peace
- Independent Consultant: Business Ethics/Corporate Governance Issues; Urban Affairs/Intergroup Relations; International Management Education
- Member, Board of Advisors, UC Berkeley-St. Petersburg State University (Russia) School of Management Program
- Member, Board of Regents, John F. Kennedy University, Orinda, CA
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Judah L. Magnes Museum, Berkeley, CA
- Editorial Board: California Management Review, The Journal of General Management, Business Ethics Quarterly, Business and Society
- Senior Fellow, Center for Ethics and Social Policy
- Member, Academy of Management, International Association for Business and Society, International Society of Business, Economics and Ethics, Society of Business Ethics
- Member, Bars of California, Pennsylvania and Supreme Court of the United States
Current Research and Interests
- Business ethics, generally, Jewish business ethics, specifically peace and conflict studies related issues
Selected Papers and Publications
- Sources of International and Infrastructure Conflict and Possibilities for Resolution in This Decade (ed), Rotary Foundation, 2006.
- Book Review Essay: "Business and Society: Tradition and Change." Journal of General Management 30, no. 2 (Winter 2004): 7-13.
- "Religious Resources for Business Ethics: a Jewish Perspective." Latin American Business Review 4, no. 4 (2003): 111-117.
- “Judaism’s Contribution to Contemporary Business Ethics.” Business and Society Society and Economy 25, no. 2 (2003): 249-257.
- "Judaism's Contribution to Our Understanding of Business, Religion and Spirituality: Reflections During a Jubilee Year." in Business, Religion and Spirituality, A New Synthesis, ed. Oliver F. Williams. Notre Dame, Indiana: University of Notre Dame Press, 2003.
- "How to Learn from the Environment about the Environment: A Pre-requisite for Organizational Well-Being." Journal of General Management 29, no. 1 (Autumn 2003): 49-61.
- "The Field of Business Ethics in the United States: Past, Present, and Future." Journal of General Management 28, no. 2 (Winter 2002): 1-21.
- "Religion and Business—The Critical Role of Religious Traditions in Management Education." Journal of Business Ethics 38, no. 1-2 (June, II-III, 2002): 91-96.
- Review of S. Prakash Sethi and Oliver F. Williams, "Economic Imperatives and Ethical Values in Global Business: The South African Experience and Global Codes Today." Business and Society 40, no. 3 (September 2001): 349-357.
- "The Jubilee, Wealth and Its Distribution: A Jewish Perspective." Global Focus 13, no. 2 (June 2001): 1-10.
- "Contemporary Jewish Perspectives on Business Ethics: The Contributions of Meir Tamari and Moses L. Pava-A Review Essay." Business Ethics Quarterly 10, no. 2 (March 2000): 423-541.
- "The Continuing Quest for Accountable, Ethical, and Humane Corporate Capitalism: An Enduring Challenge for Social Issues in Management in the New Millennium." Business and Society 38, no. 3 (September 1999): 253-267.
- Business Ethics and the Corporate Social Policy Process. Bushindo and Co., 1996, 221 pp. (in Japanese).
- Business Environment/Public Policy: The Field and Its Future - 1981 Conference Papers, with Lee E. Preston. American Assembly of Collegiate School of Business, 1982.
- Rationality, Legitimacy, Responsibility: The Search for New Directions in Business and Society, ed. with Dow Votaw. Goodyear Publishing Co., 1978.
- Black Americans and White Business, ed. with David R. Hampton. Dickenson, 1971.
- The Corporation in American Politics. Prentice Hall, Inc., 1969, 365 pages.
- Corporations, Contributions and Political Campaigns: Federal Regulation in Perspective. Institute of Governmental Studies, UC Berkeley, 1968.
Honors and Awards
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International, 2006
- The Berkeley Citation for “Distinguished Achievements, and Notable Service to the University,” 1991
- Summer Marcus Distinguished Service Award, Social Issues in Management Division, Academy of Management, 1989, for a career of leadership and service to the Social Issues in Management field
- Howard Chase Book Award for a book judged to have a made a “significant and lasting contribution to the study of business and society” (The Corporation in American Politics, Prentice-Hall, 1969), Social Issues in Management Division, Academy of Management, 1989
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowship, 1989
- Elected Honorary Member, Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Chapter of California, University of California, Berkeley 1988
- Outstanding Faculty Member Award, Political Economy Students Association, 1987
- Elected Honorary Member, Golden Key National Honor Society, Berkeley Chapter, 1987
- Inaugural Jayes/Qantas Visiting Lecturer, University of Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia, 1981
- Fellow, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, DC, 1977 - 1978
- Fellowship, Department of Politics, University of Reading (U.K.), 1971
- Academy of Management Award for Authorship of one of the Five Best Books in Management published during 1969, The Corporation in American Politics, 1970
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.