BS, Pennsylvania State University
MS, Accounting, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
At Haas since 1991
2011 - present, Founding Executive Director Emeritus, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship
2009 - present, Chair, New Venture Creation & Venture Capital Program, Center for Executive Education
2000 - present, Adjunct Professor, Haas School of Business
2009 - 2011, Faculty Director, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship
2000 - 2011, Faculty Chair of Entrepreneurship Group, Haas School of Business
1991 - 2009, Executive Director, The Lester Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, UC Berkeley
1991 - 2000, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
1980 - 1990, Audit Partner, Ernst & Young, San Francisco, CA
1989 - 1990, National Director of Capital Resources, Ernst & Young, San Francisco, CA
1980 - 1989, Partner-in-Charge and Director of Entrepreneurial Services Group in the Bay Area, Ernst & Young, San Francisco, CA
1970 - 1979, Audit and Tax, KPMG/Peat Marwick
1974 - 1975, KPMG Professional in Residence, North Carolina Central University
External Service and Assignments
- Member of the Board, Adaptive Planning, Inc.
- Member of the Board, MedAmerica, Inc.
- Member of the Board, Electrascan, Inc.
- Member of the Board, Jupiter Systems, Inc.
- Member, Educational Advisory Board, Kauffman Fellows Program
- Certified Public Accountant
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accounts (inactive)
- General Partner, Monitor Venture Partners
Current Research and Interests
- Venture capital and private equity transactions
- Corporate venturing and innovation initiatives
- Clusters and networks of innovation
- Management practices in emerging enterprise
- Technology management and licensing
- Mergers and acquisition
- Initial public offerings
- Financing high-tech ventures
Selected Papers and Publications
- Global Networks of Clusters of Innovation: Accelerating the Internationalization of the Innovation Process, with Itxaso del-Palacio. Business Horizons, Indian University Press, accepted for publication Summer – Fall 2009.
- "Models of Innovation: Corporate v. Start-up Ventures," with John Freeman. California Management Review (November 2007).
- "Technology Entrepreneurship Education: Theory to Practice," with David Charron. Intel Corporation and the Lester Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 2007.
- "Start-Up Companies: Planning, Financing and Operating the Successful Business." Law Journal Seminars - Press, co-authored Chapter 20, Accounting and Related Tax Issues.
- Silicon Valley Guide to Raising Capital, John Wiley & Sons, co-contributor to several chapters, principally Chapter 1, Trends in Financing, and Chapter 7, Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances.
- Entrepreneurship, MBA 295A
- Venture Capital and Private Equity, MBA 295B
- New Venture Finance, BA 295D
- Berkeley Executive Program (Executive Education)
- Venture Capital Executive Program (Executive Education)
- Open Innovation and Corporate Entrepreneurship (Executive Education)
- Global Entrepreneurship Faculty Colloquium (Executive Education)
Honors and Awards