BS, Pennsylvania State University
MS, Accounting, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
At Haas since 1991
2011 - present, Founding Executive Director Emeritus, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship
2009 - present, Chair, New Venture Creation & Venture Capital Program, Center for Executive Education
2000 - 2013, Adjunct Professor, Haas School of Business
2009 - 2011, Faculty Director, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship
2000 - 2011, Faculty Chair of Entrepreneurship Group, Haas School of Business
1991 - 2009, Executive Director, The Lester Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, UC Berkeley
1991 - 2000, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
1980 - 1990, Audit Partner, Ernst & Young, San Francisco, CA
1989 - 1990, National Director of Capital Resources, Ernst & Young, San Francisco, CA
1980 - 1989, Partner-in-Charge and Director of Entrepreneurial Services Group in the Bay Area, Ernst & Young, San Francisco, CA
1970 - 1979, Audit and Tax, KPMG/Peat Marwick
1974 - 1975, KPMG Professional in Residence, North Carolina Central University
External Service and Assignments
- Member of the Board, Adaptive Planning, Inc.
- Member of the Board, MedAmerica, Inc.
- Member of the Board, Electrascan, Inc.
- Member of the Board, Jupiter Systems, Inc.
- Member, Educational Advisory Board, Kauffman Fellows Program
- Certified Public Accountant
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accounts (inactive)
- General Partner, Monitor Venture Partners
Current Research and Interests
- Venture capital and private equity transactions
- Corporate venturing and innovation initiatives
- Clusters and networks of innovation
- Management practices in emerging enterprise
- Technology management and licensing
- Mergers and acquisition
- Initial public offerings
- Financing high-tech ventures
Selected Papers and Publications
- Global Networks of Clusters of Innovation: Accelerating the Internationalization of the Innovation Process, with Itxaso del-Palacio. Business Horizons, Indian University Press, accepted for publication Summer – Fall 2009.
- "Models of Innovation: Corporate v. Start-up Ventures," with John Freeman. California Management Review (November 2007).
- "Technology Entrepreneurship Education: Theory to Practice," with David Charron. Intel Corporation and the Lester Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 2007.
- "Start-Up Companies: Planning, Financing and Operating the Successful Business." Law Journal Seminars - Press, co-authored Chapter 20, Accounting and Related Tax Issues.
- Silicon Valley Guide to Raising Capital, John Wiley & Sons, co-contributor to several chapters, principally Chapter 1, Trends in Financing, and Chapter 7, Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances.
- Entrepreneurship, MBA 295A
- Venture Capital and Private Equity, MBA 295B
- New Venture Finance, BA 295D
- Berkeley Executive Program (Executive Education)
- Venture Capital Executive Program (Executive Education)
- Open Innovation and Corporate Entrepreneurship (Executive Education)
- Global Entrepreneurship Faculty Colloquium (Executive Education)
Honors and Awards
- National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance - Olympus Corporation
- Lifetime of Educational Innovation Award 2010
- NASDAQ 2006 center of Entrepreneurial Excellence Award to the Lester Center
- Edwin M. and Gloria W. Appel Prize for bringing entrepreneurial vitality to academe, 2002
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.