BA, Magna Cum Laude, Amherst College
MS, Economics, University of Wisconsin
PhD, Economics, University of Wisconsin
At Haas since 2009
2012 - present, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
2009 - 2012, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
2008 - 2009, Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, MIT
2005 - 2009, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of Michigan
External Service and Assignments
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Co-Editor, Journal of Public Economics
Current Research and Interests
- Energy and Environmental Economics
- Applied Microeconomics
- Public Finance
Selected Papers and Publications
- "The Equity and Efficiency of Two-Part Tariffs in U.S. Natural Gas Markets" (with Severin Borenstein), Journal of Law and Economics, 2012, 55(1), 75-128.
- "Prospects for Nuclear Power", Journal of Economic Perspectives, 2012, 26(1), 49-66.
- "Deregulation, Consolidation, and Efficiency: Evidence from U.S. Nuclear Power" (with Catherine Wolfram), American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2012, 4(4), 194-225.
- “The Allocative Cost of Price Ceilings in the U.S. Residential Market for Natural Gas” (with Lutz Kilian), Journal of Political Economy, 2011, 119(2), 212-241.
- “The Effect of Power Plants on Local Housing Prices and Rents: Evidence from Restricted Census Microdata” Review of Economics and Statistics, 2011, 93(4), 1391-1402.
- “International Trade in Used Vehicles: The Environmental Consequences of NAFTA” (with Matthew E. Kahn), American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 2010, 2(4), 58-82.
- “Do Americans Consume Too Little Natural Gas? An Empirical Test of Marginal Cost Pricing” (with Erich Muehlegger), RAND Journal of Economics, 2010, 41(4), 791-810.
- “Durable Goods and Residential Demand for Energy and Water: Evidence from a Field Trial” RAND Journal of Economics, 2008, 39(2), 530-546.
- “The Effect of Driving Restrictions on Air Quality in Mexico City” Journal of Political Economy, 2008, 116(1), 38-81.
- Data and Decisions
- Energy and Environmental Markets
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.