Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
DPhil, Economics, University of Oxford
MPhil, Economics, University of Oxford
Masters, Economic Policy, University of Buenos Aires
Licentiate in Economics, University of Buenos Aires
At Haas since 2003
2013 – present, Phillips Girgich Professor of Business, Haas School of Business
2008 – present, Associate Professor of Political Science, Travers Department of Political Science, University of California, Berkeley
2010 – 2013, Harold Furst Chair in Management Philosophy and Values, Haas School of Business
2008 – 2010, Associate Professor of Business and Public Policy, Haas School of Business
2007 – 2008, Associate Professor of Political Economy, Stanford Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
2004 – 2007, Assistant Professor of Political Science, Travers Department of Political Science, University of California at Berkeley
2003 – 2007, Assistant Professor of Business and Public Policy, Haas School of Business
External Service and Assignments
- Referee: American Economic Review, American Journal of Political Science, American Political Science Review, Econometrica, Journal of Political Economy, Journal of Public Economics, National Science Foundation, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Review of Economic Studies, and others.
Current Research and Interests
- Political economy
- Democratic institutions and collective decision-making
- Influence and corruption, coercion, conflict
Selected Papers and Publications
- “Term Length and the Effort of Politicians”, 2011 (with Martín Rossi). Review of Economic Studies 78(4), 1237-63.
- “A Model of Spoils Politics,” with Robert Powell. American Journal of Political Science 53, no. 1 (2009).
- “Political Dynasties,” with Pedro Dal Bó and Jason Snyder. Review of Economic Studies 76, no. 1 (2009).
- “Bribing Voters.” American Journal of Political Science 51, no. 4 (2007).
- “Reputation When Transfers and Threats Are Available,” with Pedro Dal Bó and Rafael Di Tella. Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 16, no. 3 (2007).
- “Corruption and Inefficiency: Theory and Evidence from Electric Utilities,” with Martín Rossi. Journal of Public Economics 91, nos. 5-6 (2007).
- “Regulatory Capture: A Review.” Oxford Review of Economic Policy 22, no. 2 (2006).
- “Committees With Supermajority Voting Yield Commitment With Flexibility.” Journal of Public Economics 90 (2006).
- “Plata o Plomo?: Bribe and Punishment in a Theory of Political Influence,” with Pedro Dal Bó and Rafael Di Tella. American Political Science Review 100, no. 1 (2006).
- “Capture by Threat,” with Rafael Di Tella. Journal of Political Economy 111, no. 5 (2003).
- Political Institutions, Business and Public Policy, BA 279
- Ethics and Responsibility in Business, MBA 207.4B
- Ethics and Responsibility in Business, EWMBA 207.3B
Honors and Awards
- Hellman Family Faculty Fund Award, 2006
- Schwabacher Fellowship Award, 2005-2006
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Full-Time MBA Program, 2004
- Special Mention, Earl Cheit Outstanding Teaching Award, PhD, 2004
- J. Rank and C.A.W. Manning Junior Research Fellowship in Social Studies, New College, Oxford
- Royal Economic Society Fellowship (Recipient), 2000
- Oxford Bursaries, 1998
- Overseas Research Student Award (UK), 1997-1998
- British Chevening Award, 1996
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]