BSL, University of Minnesota
JD, University of Minnesota
PhD, Economics and Law, University of Minnesota
At Haas since 1957
1993 - 1994, Interim Athletic Director, Intercollegiate Athletic and Recreational Sports, UC Berkeley
1990 - 1991, Acting Dean, Haas School of Business
1981 - 1982, Acting Vice President, Financial and Business Management, UC Berkeley
1976 - 1982, Dean, Haas School of Business
1965 - 1969, Executive Vice Chancellor, UC Berkeley
External Service and Assignments
- Senior advisor, Asia-Pacific Economic Relations, The Asia Foundation
- Associate director, Carnegie Council on Higher Education
- Director, CNF Transportation and Simpson Manufacturing Co.
- Chairman, Shaklee Corporation
- Chairman, board of trustees, Cal Performances
- Member, Board of Control at the University of California Press
- Trustee, Mills College
- Trustee emeritus, University of California, Berkeley Foundation
- Program officer in charge, Higher Education & Research, The Ford Foundation
Current Research and Interests
- Asia Pacific economic relations
- Financing higher education
- Trade policy
Selected Papers and Publications
- Economic and Social Security, co-author. New York: Ronald Press, Fifth Edition, 1982, 608 pp. First Edition, 1957.
- A Glimpse at Some Flowers from the Bus: 17 Days in China Following Normalization, co-author. Menlo Park, CA: Lane Publishing Co., 1980.
- Foundations and Higher Education: Grant Making From Golden Years Through Steady State, co-author. Berkeley, CA: Carnegie Council on Policy Studies in Higher Education, 1979.
- The Useful Arts and the Liberal Tradition. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., 1975.
- More Than Survival: Prospects for Higher Education in a Period of Uncertainty, principal author. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1975.
- The New Depression in Higher Education-Two Years Later. Berkeley, CA: The Carnegie Commission on Higher Education, 1973.
- Lecturer, Andersen Executive Program (Berlin and Toronto)
Honors and Awards
- Earl F. Cheit Hall, classroom wing of Haas School, named by the Regents of the University (Dedicated, May 1995)
- Helmet Award, presented by the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, Berkeley, 1993
- Chancellor's Award, presented by the Trustees of the UC Berkeley Foundation, 1992
- Berkeley Medal, presented by the Chancellor, UC Berkeley Academic Senate, 1991
- Distinguished Teaching Award, presented by UC Berkeley Academic Senate, 1989
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Undergraduate Program, 1987
- Doctor of Humane Letters, Honorary Degree, St. Mary's College, 197
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.