BS with Distinction, Industrial Engineering, Stanford University
MS, Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Stanford University
MS, Statistics, Stanford University
PhD, Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Stanford University
At Haas since 1988
2009 - present, Faculty Director, Management of Technology Program
1997 - present, Senior Lecturer with Security of Employment, Haas School of Business
1991 - 1997, Director and Lecturer, Management of Technology Program
1999, Visiting Lecturer, Leaders for Manufacturing Program, MIT
1994, Visiting Assistant Professor, Operations Management, MIT
1991 - 1993, Organizational Learning Champion, HPLabs, Hewlett Packard
1989 - 1991, Director, Product Generation Change Management Team, Hewlett Packard
1989, Manager, Surface Mount Technology Program, Hewlett Packard
1988 - 1991, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
1986 - 1989, Program Manager, Corporate Manufacturing, Hewlett Packard
1985 - 1986, Strategic Planner, Data Systems Division, Hewlett Packard
1980 - 1983, Consultant, Operations Management Consulting Practice, Booz, Allen and Hamilton
External Service and Assignments
- Board participation: Building Materials Holding Corporation, Corporate Design Foundation,
- Former memberships and board participation: Manufacturing Studies Board, National Research Council, Columbia University, Operations Management Advisory Board, Leaders for Manufacturing, MIT, Operating Committee Member
Current Research and Interests
- Innovation and design management
- New product development
- Operations strategy
- Environmental supply chain management
Selected Papers and Publications
- "Accenture Award Winning “Innovation as a Learning Process: Embedding Design Thinking,” with Michael Barry. California Management Review 50, no. 1 (Fall 2007).
- “Designing Sustainable Solutions: Frameworks and Tools for Considering Sustainability Issues in New Product Development,” with Nathan Shedroff. The Handbook of Technology Management, 3 Volume Set, Hossein Bidgoli, Editor-in-Chief. John Wiley & Sons, Inc: Hoboken, N.J, 2009 (forthcoming).
- “Infrastructure Meets Business: Building New Bridges, Mending Old Ones,” with Nuno Gil. California Management Review 51, No. 2 (Winter 2009).
- “Framing innovation: negotiating shared frames during early design phases,” with Jonothan Hey and Caneel Joyce. Journal of Design Research, Undersciences 6 nos. 1-2 (2007): 79-99. Special Issue on Fostering Creativity and Innovation during Early Informal Design Phases: Sociotechnical and psychology studies.
- “Self-Reflection: Lessons Learned in a New Product Development Class,” with Jonothan Hey, Alan Van Pelt and Alice Agogino.Journal of Mechanical Design 129, no. 7 (July 2007): 668-676.
- “Workplace Design: A New Managerial Imperative,” with Jeffrey Chan and Peter Lawrence. California Management Review 49, no. 2 (Winter 2007).
- Introduction to Operations Management, BA 204
- Managing the New Product Development Process: Design Theory and Methods, MBA 290N and ME290P
- Design and Systems Thinking for MBAs, MBA 290T
Honors and Awards
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Full-Time MBA Program, 2003, 1992, 1990
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1977
- Tau Beta Pi, 1977
- Berkeley Campus Distinguished Teaching Award, 2001
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Evening & Weekend MBA Program, 1990
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.