BA with Honors, Sociology & Social Administration, Hull University
MSc, Industrial Administration, Aston University
PhD, Organizational Behavior, Aston University
At Haas since 1986
1995 - present, Senior Lecturer, Haas School of Business
2006 - present, Faculty Director, Center for Executive Education, Haas School of Business
2009 - present, Advisory Board, Center for Teaching Excellence, Haas School of Business
1986 - 1995, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
1984 - 1988, Research Associate, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
1982 - 1984, Postdoctoral Fellow & Visiting Scholar, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
External Service and Assignments
- Member of the Board of Directors, FormFactor, Inc.
- Director, Pedagogy, Inc.
- Advisory Director, Securitas Capital
- Member, Advisory Board: Institute for Growth & Innovation, Icarian, Kadiri, Green Border, Mercer Tech
- Advisor and executive educator for global and high tech companies in the US and Europe
Current Research and Interests
- Enterprise adaptation & flexibility
- Organizational innovation for globalization
- Impact of technology on organizational design
- Orchestrating geo-distributed teams
- Leading multi-cultural knowledge workers
Selected Papers and Publications
- Super-Flexibility for Knowledge Enterprises: A Toolkit for Dynamic Adaptation, Second Edition. Springer, 2010.
- "Nurturing Learning Partnerships," in Learning Journeys Re-Visited, edited by B. Kaye et al. DavisBlack Publishing, 2009.
- "Leading Global Knowledge Workers," in Global Talent: An Anthology of Human Capital Strategies for Today's Borderless Enterprise (Revised). Washington, DC: Human Capital Institute, 2008.
- Super-Flexibility for Knowledge Enterprises. Springer, 2005.
- "Leading High Tech Knowledge Workers." PKU Business Review (Beijing University) 20, no. 3 (2006).
- "Organizing for Strategic Flexibility" in M. Goldsmith (Ed.) The Leadership Frontiers, Financial Times, Prentice-Hall, 2002.
- "Nodal Organizational Designs in Silicon Valley," in H. Osterle & R. Winter (Eds.), Business Engineering, Springer-Verlag, 2000.
- "Flexible Recycling & High Technology Entrepreneurship" in M. Kenney (Ed.), Understanding Silicon Valley, Stanford University Press, 2000.
- "Nurturing Learning Partnerships" in Goldsmith, Kaye & Shelton (Eds.) Learning Journeys, Davies-Black Publishing, 2000.
- International Business: Organizational Innovation for Global Companies, EWMBA 258A
- Statoil Project Executive Program
- New Manager Boot Camp for Scientists and Engineers
- Top Tech Program
- The CIO Institute
- Product Management Program
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.