Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory
BS, Psychology, University of Washington
PhD, Social/Personality Psychology, UC Berkeley
At Haas since 2005
2013 – present, Professor, Haas School of Business
2011 – present, Lorraine Tyson Mitchell Chair in Leadership & Communication II
2008 – 2011, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
2005 – 2008, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
2003 – 2005, Assistant Professor, Stern School of Business
2001 – 2003, Postdoctoral Fellow, Kellogg School of Management
External Service and Assignments
Associate Editor, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2014-
Ad Hoc Journal Reviewer: Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Psychological Bulletin, Psychological Science, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Organization Science, European Journal of Social Psychology, Emotion, Motivation and Emotion, Cognition and Emotion, Journal of Research in Personality, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Journal of Applied Social Psychology
Member, International Association of Conflict Management
Member, Academy of Management
Member, Society for Personality and Social Psychology
Member, American Psychological Association
Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Journal, 2011-present
Editorial Board Member, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 2009-2010
Current Research and Interests
- Status hierarchies
- The psychology of power
- Self and interpersonal perception
Selected Papers and Publications
- Anderson, C., Hildreth, J. A.D., & Howland, L. (2015, March 16). Is the Desire for Status a Fundamental Human Motive? A Review of the Empirical Literature. Psychological Bulletin.
- Brion, S., & Anderson, C. (in press). The Loss of Power: How Illusions of Alliance Contribute to Powerholders’ Downfall. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
- Kennedy, J. A., Anderson, C., Moore, D. A. (in press). Social reactions to overconfidence: Do the costs of overconfidence outweigh the benefits? Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
- Anderson, C., Kraus, M. W., Galinsky, A. D., & Keltner, D. (2012). Sociometric status and subjective well-being. Psychological Science, 23, 764-771.
- Anderson, C., Willer, R., Kilduff, G., Brown, C. L. (2012). The drive to defer: Why some individuals prefer lower status. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 102, 1077-1088.
- Anderson, C., Brion, S., Moore, D. M., Kennedy, J. A. (2012). A status-enhancement account of overconfidence. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 103, 718-735
- Anderson, C., & *Brown, C. (2010). The functions and dysfunctions of hierarchy. Research in Organizational Behavior, 30, 55-89.
- Anderson, C., & *Kilduff, G. (2009). The pursuit of status in social groups. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 18, 295-298
- Anderson, C., & *Kilduff, G. (2009). Why do dominant personalities attain influence in groups? A competence-signaling account of personality dominance. Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, 96, 491-503.
- Anderson, C., & Galinsky, A. (2006). Power, optimism, and risk-takiing. European Journal of Social Psychology: Special issue on social power, 36, 511-536.
- Keltner, D., Gruenfeld, D. H., & Anderson, C. (2003). Power, approach, and inhibition. Psychological Review, 110, 265-284.
- See http://mors.haas.berkeley.edu/research/anderson.html for additional papers.
- Power and Politics in Organizations
- Negotiations and Conflict Resolution
Honors and Awards
- Bakar Faculty Fellow (Haas School of Business, University of California), 2010
- Most Influential Paper, Academy of Management Conflict Management Division, 2008.
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, Full-time MBA Program, 2008
- Schwabacher Fellowship (Haas School of Business, University of California), 2008
- Institute of Industrial Relations Research Grant (University of California), August 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Junior Faculty Research Grant (University of California), October 2005, October 2007
- Professor of the Year (Stern School of Business, New York University), June 2005
- Dispute Resolution Research Center Grant (Northwestern University): The sense of power in negotiations and decision-making, April 2002 (with Adam Galinsky)
- Kellogg Teams and GroupsResearchCenter Grant (Northwestern University): Emotional similarity in teams, April 2002 (with Hoon-Seok Choi and Leigh Thompson)
- Social Science Research Grant (UC Berkeley): Status, power, and emotion, October 1998
- University Graduate Fellowship (UC Berkeley), 1997-1998
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa (University of Washington), 1994
Faculty Directory: Alphabetical Listing
Faculty Directory: Listing by Department
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.
[Top of page]