BS, Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MS, Statistics, Stanford University
PhD, Business Administration, Stanford University
At Haas since 1968
1999 - present, Vice Chairman, Prophet
1994 - present, E.T. Grether Professor of Marketing Strategy (Emeritus since 2000)
1981 - 1994, J. Gary Shansby Professor of Marketing Strategy
1970 - 1981, Professor, Haas School of Business
1982 - 1986, Chair, Marketing group
External Service and Assignments
- Board of Directors, Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano County
- Serves on the following editorial boards : Journal of Strategic Marketing, Marketing Management, The Journal of Brand Management, Strategy & Leadership, and The Russian Management Journal
- Board of Directors, California Casualty Insurance Company
Current Research and Interests
- Brand and brand building
- Brand portfolio strategy
- Global brand management
Selected Papers and Publications
- Brand Relevance: Making Competitors Irrelevant, Jersey Boss, 2011
- Author of over 100 articles and 14 books, including Brand Portfolio Strategy (2004, The Free Press) and From Fargo to the World of Brands (2006, Iceni Books).
- Spanning Silos. Harvard Business Press, 2008.
- "Winning by Creating New Categories.” Wall Street Journal, The Journal Report, September 2007.
- “Innovation: Brand It or Lose It.” California Management Review, Fall 2007.
- "Peeling Back the Layers on Innovation." BrandWeek, 1 May 2006, 24.
- "Brands to the Power of Two," with Christian Dorffer. Brand Strategy, April 2006, 30-31.
- “The Relevance of Relevance: Innovating Brands in Fast-Moving Markets.” Strategy + Business, Spring 2004.
- “Brand Marketing in Slow Growth Markets: The Internet as Integrator.” Strategy + Business, Spring 2004.
- "The Power of Branded Differentiator." MIT Sloan Management Review (Fall 2003): 83-92. An Adaptation apperared in Wirtschaftswoche, April 2004. Abstract.
Honors and Awards
- Innovative Contributions to Marketing, Marketing Management Association, 2005
- MIT Buck Weaver Award for contributions to the advancement of theory and practice in marketing science, 2004
- Vijay Mahajan Award for career contributions to marketing strategy, 2000
- Fellow, World Economic Forum at Davos, 1999-2000
- Paul D. Converse Award for outstanding contributions to the development of the science of marketing, 1996
- 1995 Pacific Telesis Award for best article in the California Management Review
- Award for best article contributed to the Journal of Marketing twice, 1985 & 1987
Maintained by Haas School Marketing and Communications Office.
Contact us with problems or updates to this page.